Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The chair massage at nail salons



I've decided that the chair massage at nail salons is completely contingent upon the amount of tip you leave. And what's crazy is that it's not even the ten minute chair one like the photo suggests. It's the one that the nice "nail technician" gives you when your nails are drying. It's not like the most important thing in the process, but when you get it then you don't get it, it becomes a question of what makes you get it or what makes you not get it.

Case in point:
Two weeks ago, I went for the routine summertime manicure/pedicure at this one nail place that usual gives the free chair massage at the end. I paid, tipped (HOWEVER, I left a smaller tip than usual since I forgot to carry cash and I hate charging a tip). So I'm sitting at the dryer and start doing the shoulder shift like I am about to get the rub (*pause*). The lady is standing there turning the dryers on as I am doing the shoulder shift. I began to feel like that episode of Sex and the City where that guy keeps shifting his rear closer to Miranda's face until she shouts "I don't do that!!!!" The lady goes to me "Okayyyy" and walks away. Nothing but me and a significant loss of dignity.

Fast-forward to yesterday, where I am at the salon and this time I had tip money. It came to like $22 and I handed her $30. She kept the entire change, which was a big boo since I wanted to sneak at least $2 of that for coffee money, but I digress. So I finish, go to the dryer and the woman beats the daylights out of me in the chair. I think I have a bruise actually.

There should be a sign that reads, "Complimentary Chair Massage With Hefty Tip" - something that lets the world know if you are being a cheap bitch that day to not do the shoulder lean hoping for something that won't come.

No comments: